Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First Day Flying Solo

So usually I don't post blogs about my life, because my life isn't interesting unless I'm being an asshole to somebody or something like that. But lately I've been training to work as the Daily Event Manager at my place of employment and yesterday was my first day flying solo. It was pretty hectic and I'm kind of surprised I managed it without stressing to death.

My first task was to set up the Forum system, which isn't important to really understand what that's for but it's kind of important to understand what that is. Basically, it's a computer system that the professors can use to teach their class. It's got a large Mac computer that's hooked up so it displays on two large projector screens. Well I got in there and started setting it up and the computer wouldn't boot up. It got to near booting up and then froze at this grey screen with a swirly doom clock in the middle.

Using my extensive knowledge of computer technology, I did the first step any decent IT guy tells you-
I restarted the fucking computer.


At that point I hard-restarted it and it got to the same spot and froze, again. I was unsure about what to do so I picked up the help phone hoping they would give me a nice pointer to fix my dilemma.

[phone rings twice]
"Hello, this is help desk."


Hi, this is Kori with Event Support, I'm down in the Snell Forum attempting to boot up the system and the computer keeps freezing before it even gets to the sign in screen." 


"Have you tried rebooting it?"


Yes I already have rebooted it and it gets to exactly the same point and freezes again.


"Try rebooting it again."


Then I'm thinking, 'Sure, because we all know if rebooting it doesn't work the first time, obviously rebooting it like four more times will fix it.'

So I hung up the phone, and I rebooted it three more times.
It was so amazing, guess what happened?
Fucking nothing- it got to the same point each time and froze.
I'm a motha fuckin geniuuuuus.


So by that time I was pretty flustered and got a hold of James, our technical guy. He tried rebooting the computer and it didn't work. Then he and I worked through a couple steps that didn't work. We called the help desk one more time,

"Help desk..."


Hello, this is Event Support again, I'm still in the Forum and attempting to boot the computer up but it freezes before it gets to the sign in screen. I already tried rebooting the computer three times with no avail.


"So you've already rebooted it?"


No I just like lying to IT guys because it gets me off. Yes I rebooted it.


"Okay we're going to try a couple more things."


At this point I don't care to write about it. Next problem.


-----------------


After failing to set up the forum, I went back to work with other groups setting up their setups. One group came in to do a self-service chair and table set up outside in the quad. Info Desk called me to let them in, so I met them at the front desk since I was near there anyway. They were standing there looking clueless so I asked them if they needed anything other than their chairs and tables.

"Well we need to plug some stuff in."


It doesn't say here that you've reserved a power connection in the quad, did you reserve that online?


"No, why would we have to reserve electricity?"


So we know to set it up, and to know where our equipment is going. I'll have our front desk lady add it to your reservation, it wont cost anything, let's get you set up.


"Cool thanks."


Then we went to the room to get the chairs and tables from the room downstairs. I opened the door and let them in, they stared at me like I was supposed to do something. I told them they could put what they needed on this rolling cart so that they could wheel it outside.

"You're not going to load it up and set it up for us?"


No I'm not going to fucking load it up for you, for set it up for you, that's why it's called self-service. I'll set up your power but you need to take your damn tables. 


So I walked the gentlemen out there and they started setting up in the corner of the quad. One of them starting coping an attitude with me about being in the spot the reserved. I was confused at first why he was angry, but then I realized they wanted to move over one spot in the quad. That wasn't possible because there was another group going to be there in like 15 minutes.

"We want to be in that spot over there."


You are going to have to stay in your reserved spot because somebody else has reserved that space in the quad.


"I'm pretty sure nobody is going to be there. We'll just set up right there."


No, there is somebody there, I saw the BEO for it earlier, you need to stay where you've reserved your space here. We'll make sure you have everything you need.


"How about we just set up there and if somebody sets up we'll move at that point?"


No, you should stay where you're at. The other group will be inconvenienced if they have to wait for you to move, and it will become a hassle for you and them. I suggest you just stay where you're at.


"Well can't you just check? Cause I'm like 100% positive there's nobody there."


I had to go get guard dogs anyway so I walked up to the office on the way and looked, oh what do you know-
There was a group coming to set up in like 5 minutes. Holy shit it's like I work there and see these things or something.


I went back out and told them that there was another group coming in and that they needed to stay where they were at. The guy stared at me like I was the biggest asshole ever. It felt kind of satisfying telling them no. They were being pricks.

While I was busy fighting with them, a couple of my other setups had needed help, luckily one of the other workers had come in and saved my ass by helping them.

Fuck. Fraternities. :) 



3 comments:

Mel said...

Reminds me of The IT Crowd...though I love them ;) Screw those fraternity dicks!

Captain Pedro of the U.S.S. Earth said...

LOL Oh man I should have started reading this LOOONG ago. XD

Kori said...

LOL Mel, me too, I totally was thinking that while I was on the phone!

And Ian, yeah, you should have- since I have such a great cynical sense of humor xP

Post a Comment